Friday, December 2, 2016

Presents for vegans

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Hope you are all happy and getting in the Xmas spirit. Ok, I’ll get straight to it. I have had many people, a little worried asking me....”what the hell do I buy a vegan, cruelty free, ethically sourced encourager? I have also experienced a few moans and negative comments regarding our own choice of shopping be it food and/fashion. Now I can only apologise for the ‘in your face vegan preachers’. But I’d like to think most are not like that, yet are quick to be treated like we are. Lets just say its getting more popular folks. So instead of being scared of us and trying to bring us down with your own judgements, jump on board or just LOG off! ;)
I have written a few blogs now on the awareness of animal testing and animal products in the fashion world. So its only right that I should now help you find gifts for your animal loving loved ones at Christmas which will support their cause. Or even for yourself if you’re new to this.
Fear not! It is A LOT easer than you think. 

Can I just say google is not our enemy.. it’s so easy to ask Siri. The internet has many answers. But...be aware although some companies out there say they are cruelty free, they can be tricking you. The product itself (say a mascara) may not be tested on animals but its ingredients may have. (Look up the complications with L’oreal and body Shop if you want an example, luckily mostly in our favour lately).

Here’s a checklist that companies must prove to pass.
None of their products are tested on animals.
None of their ingredients are tested on animals.
They do not commission animal testing to a third party.
They must verify that none of their raw material suppliers test on animals.
They must not retail their products in countries that require animal testing by law (such as china).

So here are some ideas for presents that don’t break any of those rules both for men and woman.
Look for the LEAPING BUNNY. I’ve blogged about this before but that is a very easy and quick way of finding out if you can drop it in your basket. Super-Drug is great for that. I nipped to Boots the other day and if you ask in most shops now they can point you in the direction of Animal Friendly brands. Such as Liz Earl (whom I love).


If cosmetics/make up is your gift of choice try these....
PHB Ethical Beauty www.phbethicalbeauty.co.uk Thankyou ‘cousin to be’ Paula for giving me a heads up on that one they are LUSH....not forgetting....
Lush www.lush.com They just smell devine. For men their Gorilla products are very attractive....may have bought a special someone one myself sssshhh! Some of their perfumes are just as strong and appealing as Jo Malone. They have mens grooming kits too. Aswell as a perfume balm, which I thought was a great idea. 
www.limecrime.co.uk

I got a tasty little lipbalm from Living Naturally the other day www.soapnuts.co.uk they even do laundry care!!
I was contacted by Naz Cosmetics recently and can’t wait to try their glitter eye shadows for this festive period. www.nazcosmeticsofficial.bigcartel.com


How about perfume....
Obviously many of the companies I have already mentioned do GREAT perfumes for men and women, but don’t forget the obvious Stella McCartney eg “Pop” and more high street prices listed on websites such as
www.peta.org
Where you are given a list for all suitable price ranges.



Fashion for men and woman.
Once again for a higher budget you have the wonderful www.stellamccartney.com and www.etnies.com But if you wanted to get the one you cared about something a little different, ,maybe even something to suit their quirky personality, why not try these new up and coming labels.
www.omandahlondon.com great for animals and also uses ethically sourced materials. 

www.iamillogical.co.uk
I am still learning about how to shop ethically in all departments. As-well as caring for the welfare of animals, it is wise to stay on top of things when it comes to world and human welfare. A great fashion site to start off with is -
www.ethcalconsumer.org here they have a list of all shops and brands that are worry free, along with a list of alternative places, and our favourite ‘high street shops’ ratings in the ethical chart. H&M do rather well with M&S following. You just have to ask in store to be more specific.
It is so easy...did you know even www.asos.com has a ‘green room’ area !!
page2image19632 page2image19792 page2image19952 page2image20112 page2image20272 page2image20432 page2image20592 page2image20752 page2image20912 page2image21072
Jewellary and handbags.
If you hadn’t already noticed I am a huge www.labante.co.uk advocate. Their designs are for all seasons and the delicate necklaces are unique and beautiful.


Books
A gorgeous one that made my mouth water and I couldn’t put down was-
Alicia Silverstone’s ‘The Kind Diet’
It really opened my eyes in a gentle but powerful way. She even tweeted me back whoop!
How about a vegan recipe book? There are so many in Waterstones, Amazon and WH Smith.

Food Hamper.

I came across a lovely little vegan and gluten free, plant based (basically everything) food company the other day called
www.paradiseunbakery.com
I don’t like a lot of veg and I am a nightmare with a salad but wow these dishes were tasty and to be honest I havnt had a bland vegan/veggie dish ever. If I can enjoy it and eat it all up ANYONE can, trust me. 

You could buy cakes and desserts, wine (organic) and healthy on the go snacks and display them in a cute little hamper, showing them you appreciate their decision, even if its not your own. That’s the BEST GIFT! Danny bought me the Alicia bookI still cook meat for my man even though I don’t eat it. We can’t shut away from everything. Even the new five pound note isn’t vegan!!!! Don’t get me started hmmpphh!! We have to be practical at times as long as our aim remains the strong.
How about cooking for your friend or even bake your own sponge, yum. The supermarkets are getting better at storing ‘free from’ aisle with lots of vegetarian options and a growing vegan section. They are not as easy to spot but I promise you they are there. Its even easier on line having it delivered to you, although I am a big supporter of our local fruit and veg shop!!

Here are just a few ideas for gifts for all seasons for your vegan/veggie friends but if your still stuck for Santa presents, how about sponsoring their favourite type of animal or donating to their charity of choice. From Guide Dogs to guiniepigs and all kinds in shelters, from the RSPCA to compassion in world farming, www.ciwf.org.uk for sites that still need your pennies and support. There are soooo many ways to help animals! My amazing group of girls sponsored the beautiful Caracal Alex from Naankuse Sanctuary, where Danny and I had visited a few years ago all the way over in Africa. There’s a thought, take them away on a Sanctuary visit, volunteer!! 

There are endless options peeps, you can get lost in ways to help the animals of the world and your loved ones fight in trying to protect them.
‘Tis the season of giving and sharing
So this blog is my gift to you. Thank you for taking the time to read it, means a lot.
 Carley xx
page4image6584

No comments:

Post a Comment